Friday, July 13, 2012

Big Boy's Room 1

Hello There!
I promised a new post..and, well, better late than never right???  After many months of promises, we decided to take this summer to redo Diddle's room.  He's entering 3rd grade and needs a big kid space...or at least that's my excuse for redecorating (and I'm sticking to it).  Anyway, like I said, we've been promising for MONTHS without any action.  Imagine my surprise (and delight) when I came home from work the other day to find that the Teacher had completely stripped Diddle's room...and I mean STRIPPED it...bye bye old, stained, yucky carpet and 5 million Cars posters and clutter.  Unfortunately, since I didn't know he was going to get started, I didn't get a real "before" shot.  What I came home to looked like this:


Yahoo! I just love a clean slate!  So next was paint options.  Diddle loves green but the thought of a fully green room (especially if we didn't pick just the right shade) made me feel a little green in the gills.  Sooo, after much deliberation (ok, not too much...I'm actually kind of impulsive sometimes), we started covering up the lovely blue that we chose when he was born...sniff!  This is what we had:

A soft, lovely grey that keeps this little room bright!  (and I love love love that the name of it is "secret passage"..hello!)  Then we taped some stripe lines:


We went with the same pattern, only inverted, as the Nugget's room since they are side by side and this leads to a bit of continuity when both of their doors are open.  Then it got messy...I don't know why we didn't expect it since this has happened every single time we've painted in this house.  We have textured walls, which are lovely...except when you need a nice crisp line.  We get bleed through every single time no matter how much we press and seal that tape and are soooo careful.. We should expect it, and yet each time we are disappointed.  See what I mean?  Boo.
So up the ladder went my super sweet Teacher with a tiny little brush:

Time consuming? Yes.  Worth it???  Oh heck yes!! See the difference??

And so, the painting is complete.  Next up?? Floors!  I put a little survey up on Facebook:  Carpet or Wood??  And the verdict was??  

What?  The nugget needs me to wipe his bum??  Oh well, I guess I'll have to continue tomorrow!  ;)

~Bean


3 comments:

  1. A tip we learned long ago: Spread a thin layer of painter's caulk along the masking tape. It keeps the paint from bleeding.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Whaaat??? Where have you been all my life?? I'll have to try that next time...thanks MM!!! BTW...why are you not blogging anymore?????? Surely you've knit something wonderfully cuddly since your move to the PNW!

      Delete
  2. Where do you spread the caulk? On top of the tape? Under the tape?

    ReplyDelete