Sunday, September 2, 2012

Big Boy Bedroom: An Organized Study Space

Happy Labor Day, Everyone!
I hope you are all enjoying some much needed fun-time with your families and friends.  Today I thought I'd share with you what we ended up with for the Diddle's desk area in his new big-boy bedroom.  Diddle is, after all, a 3rd grader now so this study space coincides nicely with Back to School!  

You might remember that so far, we've done:  new paint, new flooring, superawesome storage bed and bedside wall storage.  This is how we last left the study space beside his bed:


I really am sorry for the photo quality...I took this at night, which I know is a no-no, but honestly, I'm soo not a photographer...I really need to learn more about lighting and staging!  Ah well.  Ok, so with the addition of a shelf, a metal peg board that I ordered from Home Depot (you know, the kind that dudes use in their garages), a cute paperclip wall unit and a dry erase board, we now have THIS: 

The top shelf used to sit above his old desk holds extra art/school supplies (in the orange boxes that we also used in his old room), as well as his shell/coral collection (glass vase on the right) and his rock collection (bell jar on the left) plus a really fun oversized Gobstopper box..that did, indeed, hold Gobstoppers once upon a time.  He loves it and I love the pop of color, so we kept it.  

Rather than a traditional cork or white board, I ordered this metal pegboard from Home Depot.  It was the perfect size, adds a bit of an industrial/manly vibe that can grow with him and provides endless combinations for above desk storage options.  So far, we are using magnets and hooks.  I don't imagine that this will stay this empty for long.  The hanging clipboard will house homework that isn't due until the end of the week (since he now has a homework folder that goes back and forth from school every night)...it may find itself hanging beside the green dry erase board rather than on the peg board itself...we'll see.  Its a work in progress.  BTW, the cute little soccer ball?  Its a STAPLER!  How adorable and perfect for my little soccer playing monkey!

 These cups and rod came from, my favorite store, IKEA...btw, did you get your 2013 catalog in the mail yet??? Drooooool worthy!  I have one more cup available just in case (the rod holds up to 4 cups)...hey, at $1.00 apiece?  Better safe than sorry!  

 This cute paperclip picture holder came from Bed, Bath and Beyond...and was only $10.00 after my coupon!  I thought it would be a cute place for him to place invitations, pictures etc.  The dry erase board (with the coolest marker ever) came from Wal-Mart.  I'm saving the space to the left of the board for either, a cute calendar OR his green clip board.  The jury is still out. 

Oh!  I forgot to tell you about the desk...we got the desk from (of course) IKEA for $59.  We actually had the green of the shelf paint matched at Lowe's so the stripe on the wall matches the desk drawer (not to mention the doors of the storage unit we got to house his books and toys...more on that in a future post).  How awesome is that??  Amazing what technology can do these days!  

So next on my list is to line the drawer and organize it with some little cheap-o baskets I got at Staples...but I'm not quite there yet.  Diddle's room is getting there.  Left to do on our To Do list??

paint
floor
storage bed
bedside storage
study space
book/toy storage
closet organization
window/floor covering
art

Slowly but surely, we will get them all checked off.  

Here it is one last time:



The trouble I have is that even when we are working on one project, my mind is already planning future projects...my poor poor Teacher, good thing he's a good sport!

Happy Labor Day!!!!!
~Bean





No comments:

Post a Comment