Tuesday, January 3, 2012

A Pinteresting Post

Happy Hump Day Everyone!

I love Pinterest.  I don't just love it...I  love  LOVE  L.O.V.E!! it...If I could marry it, I would.  Seriously.  In my efforts to a) save money, b) do good things for our planet and c) decrease my family's exposure to chemicals, I'm always looking for healthy/green alternatives to commercial products....and Pinterest, my friends, is a veritable GOLDMINE for this!  Now granted, this was my first foray into the home-making of something like this (and I'm sure there are a lot of crappy recipes out there too), but I'm super excited to share, with you, my 1st experience with...

drum roll puh-lease.......

Home Made Laundry Detergent!!!!  
(doesn't that make you just a little bit giddy??..Did I mention I'm a bit of a geek??)

I came across this:  http://whynotsew.blogspot.com/2010/08/how-to-make-homemade-laundry-detergent.html whilst cruising Pinterest one not-so-long-ago day.  I checked the ingredients list....and happened to have them ALL IN MY HOUSE already...bar of soap? check.  Borax? check.  Washing soda? check.  water, containers and a funnel? check, check and check!!!! (don't you just love it when that happens??)

Anyhoo...after telling everyone I came across that day, what I was going to make (and listened to my sister tell me that I would probably smell like a dirty hippie)..I got started.  

It was VERY easy.  It did come out to be the consistency of "snot" but has done a beautiful job on all of my laundry this week!  The only thing I would add to her directions would be to let it cool completely before transferring to your containers.  I had read that some people had the problem that their soap was too thick so I was a little worried...and I'm glad I waited because by the next morning, it was WAAAAY too thick to pour...was more like the consistency of grape jelly.  Sooo, I reheated it and added another 1/2 gallon of water (and probably could have added more).  This recipe actually made more like 2 1/2-3 gallons of detergent for PENNIES, when compared to commercial laundry detergent.  Its not the most appetizing thing to look at (like I said, it bears a strong resemblance to snot..not in color, but in consistency) but I love that I know everything that went into it and my laundry has come out fresh smelling and soft, so I have no complaints.

How about you?? Have you found any gems that you'd like to pass along?  GO PINTEREST!!

BTW...here's today's recipe..super easy, quick and delicious!

Mixed Green Salad with Grilled Shrimp
In 2 large meal-sized bowls, place 2 C of the mixed greens of your choice (we used an organic spring mix), 1 oz crumbled goat cheese (you can use Feta if you don't like goat cheese), and 1/4 C dried cranberries.  Dress with 1-2 T of your favorite dressing (I like Marie's Balsamic Vinaigrette in the refrigerated section).  Top with 4 oz of grilled shrimp ( I sprinkled with lemon pepper before grilling)....YUM!!!!
BTW..since we are pigs trying to increase our lean proteins and keep our carbs low good, we actually doubled the shrimp serving for only 70 additional calories.  Total calories are under 400, depending on what dressing you use...and that's WITH the double serving of shrimp...what can I say? We were pigs..hungry!!! 

Have a great day!
~Bean

7 comments:

  1. I used to make my own detergent back when I made my own soaps. Maybe I'll do this again in order to save moolah! Thanks for the reminder! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. p.s. Check your link to the site, it doesn't work. Maybe cuz there's no www? or http?

    ReplyDelete
  3. ok, thanks...I think I fixed it..I put a . where i should have put a /..oops!!!
    Bean

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am a recent pinterest addict. I tracked down a dry laundry detergent recipe though, because I didn't feel like taking the time for the whole heating, melting, cooling thing. :-)
    (http://beingcreativetokeepmysanity.blogspot.com/2010/11/homemade-laundry-soap.html#comments)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey Jenski! Thanks for posting..I'm new to this so I get all happy-dancey when I get a comment..your name is familiar..do you, by any chance, follow victoria winters????

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yes, I do. You can thank her for linking to your new blog. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. You gotta love a geek, um I mean girl, who uses "whilst" in a blog post!

    ReplyDelete