Wednesday, January 25, 2012

Potty Rockets

Haha!  That's what I was woken up to this morning.  Except the actual song goes "Party Rock is in the house tonight"..and my sweet sweet little Nugget thinks its "Potty Rockets in the house tonight".  Oh, I woke with a smile this morning.

I thought I'd share with your a quickie little craft that I did over the Christmas Break.  Do you have any random pants that you can no longer wear?  That's all you need (mostly)!  I had an old pair of scrub pants that had been painted on, torn and were just waay past the point of wearing..even for home only purposes.  Sooo, rather than trashing them to rot away in the landfill, I upcycled them...and created 2 lovely little drawstring bags.  I gave one to my son to hold his little toys when we are going somewhere that requires a few toys, but not enough for an entire backpack.  My dad actually requested the other one to hold golf stuff (or something).  The best part of it?? They only required ONE SEAM EACH!! Yahoo!!!

First, cut the legs off the pants...to the length of bag you want to have (within a 1/2 inch or so).  
Next, Turn inside out and sew the cut sides together to make the bottom of the bag (so that the hemmed part of the pant leg is the opening of the bag).  
Then, turn back right side out and cut a small hole in the (old) hem of the pant leg.
Lastly (I'm pretty sure that's not an official word but I use it none-the-less), thread a piece of ribbon, chord, rope, old shoelace (whatever...I used some old jute that I had lying around) through the old hem and tie!

They look a little something (actually exactly) like this:


These little bags make me so happy!  I've actually been saving all these old jeans that the Diddle wore as a kindergartener (when it was cool to rip the heck out of your knees at recess!)...thinking that they might make good shorts for the Nugget..however, I think they have "little denim bags" written all over them...maybe embellished with patches, or names or puffy paint (yes, I said puffy paint!)...ahhh, the possibilities are endless!!!  How cute would these be for little gift bags?? 

What fun things have you done with something seemingly unusable??  Please share!!

xo
~Bean

1 comment:

  1. Great bags! I have grand plans to use t-shirts from a charity walk I have done several times to make a quilt...Just need to start in on that...

    ReplyDelete