Monday, January 30, 2012

Menu Monday??

Good Morning, Everyone.
This morning's title is a bit deceiving...I would normally post my week's menu today, however, I have no idea, as of yet, what this week will bring.  My grandmother ("Mo") died this weekend and I haven't had the time or energy to even think about planning for food.   

It was a peaceful end for her and we really couldn't have asked for better.  All the women in my family spent the whole day with her and after my aunt left (who she's lived with her whole life), only my Mom, Sister and I stayed.  We hunkered down and prepared for a long night.  I think she knew that watching her die would have been very hard for my aunt, and so she waited.  All day, she waited..sleeping peacefully and just slowly slowing down.  Until my aunt left.  Then, not more than 40 minutes later, with my sister, Mom and I holding her little body and telling her it was ok, that we would take care of my aunt and that we would miss her but that it was ok for her to let go, she did.  Just "poof" and that was it.  Peace.

I'm not sure its completely hit me yet.  Actually, I know it hasn't.  Yesterday was a whirlwind (complete with some ridiculous family drama from some extended out of town family that I really really could have done without).  I haven't really had a chance to process it yet and I feel like if I let myself cry it will never stop.  So, right now, I'm trying to stay strong and deal with arrangements (and asshole family members) so that my Mom and Aunt don't have to.  Sweet Mo.  

Anyone out there have any advice or stories to share?  I've never seen anyone die before.  Death is something that has always, quite frankly, scared the living daylights out of me.  It was much more peaceful than I was expecting and I felt that finally, she was resting as she sooo deserved after such a long life.  Anyway.   I miss her.
~Bean


4 comments:

  1. I just e-mailed you. Sending all my love and prayers.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so sorry for your loss, my friend. Big hugs and prayers to you and your family.

    Love,
    VW

    ReplyDelete
  3. So sorry for your loss, and glad your grandmother was surrounded by you all when she passed.

    ReplyDelete